The Most Scenic Train Rides in the US Worth Booking for the Views

Plus, An Essential Guide to Monaco

11 Scenic Train Rides in the US Worth Booking for the Views Alone

 

There are certain train routes in the US with scenery so mesmerizing that they are worth taking for the sights alone. Amtrak, of course, has more than 30 different train routes crisscrossing every US region, from the vast deserts of the Southwest to the sparkling coast of California, and majestic mountain ranges in between. But even more private rail operators in states like Alaska and Hawaii offer their own scenic train rides that shouldn't be overlooked. The challenge, then, becomes picking which train trip to take—and when.

READ MORE

What The Traveler Editors are Loving

Jessica Sulima

 

I spent the last week of August in the Costa Rican rainforest, checking out The Vessyl, a new kind of wellness retreat with a “Frequency Dome” that allows you to feel sound through the body in a very immersive way. With the Arenal Volcano as my backdrop, I spent my days moving through the jungle, riding horses, and experiencing spurts of rain that gave the lush, green surroundings a magical, misty allure. I practically lived in my new poppy-colored Columbia Trailborne rain jacket, which was perfectly light for the humid weather, as well as my waterproof Prana hiking pants and trusty Salomon sneakers. I also carried a few bone broth packets, for when I felt like a warm sip in between meals—I’m not much of a protein-maxxer, but I’ve become quite addicted to the savory taste of these.

Columbia Trailborne rain jacket


SHOP NOW

Zoup bone broth packets


SHOP NOW

Prana Halle low rise bootcut pant


SHOP NOW

Salomon XT-6 Sneakers


SHOP NOW

All products featured on Condé Nast Traveler are independently selected by our editors. However, we may receive compensation from retailers and/or from purchases of products through these links.

On a “Readaway” in Nantucket’s Off-Season, I Surrendered to the Books

 

More and more travelers are planning vacations around the act of reading; I was delighted to give it a try from a rental home above Nantucket Bookworks.

READ MORE

Did You Know That All Beaches Resorts Are Advanced Certified Autism Centers? Here's My Family's Experience

 

A dedicated team, thoughtful guidance, and low-sensory zones made a farther-flung trip accessible for my daughter and our whole family.

READ MORE

OUR PODCAST

An Old Friend Returns to Women Who Travel

LISTEN NOW

Was this forwarded to you? Sign up.

Plus, find all of our newsletters.

This e-mail was sent to you by CONDÉ NAST TRAVELER. To ensure delivery to your inbox (not bulk or junk folders), please add our e-mail address, condenasttraveler@newsletter.cntraveler.com, to your address book.

View our Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

Copyright © Condé Nast 2026. One World Trade Center, New York, NY 10007. All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Like Royalty at the Mandarin Oriental Ritz in Madrid

Before Filming ‘White Lotus,’ Natasha Rothwell Stayed At a Silent Buddhist Retreat

The Best Snorkeling Destinations in the World